WSS,Van Der Mark:"We knew it was possible to be in the front this season".


Michael "Mikey" Van Der Mark - newly crowned WSS champion , 2-times winner of the Suzuka 8H endurance race and a  talented pilot. He succeeded in his second WSS campaign this year. Michael didn't go off from podiums and fifth win in Jerez helped him become world  champion early.
Also Dutchman second consecutive year, was triumphant one of the most important races "Suzuka 8H". The next two years van der Mark will be with his current team Pata Honda, but in WSBK.

TWN: What was your goals at the beginning of the season? Have you ever thought you could win the title?
Michael Van Der Mark:  Our goal for this season was to fight for the championship. After quite a successful rookie year in 2013, we knew it was possible to be in the front this season.

TWN: In which part of the season you first thought that you could win the title?
Michael Van Der Mark:  I think after the win in Malaysia we were really sure that we could get the title because at that point in the season we had a nice gap between me and second place in the championship.

Michael Van Der Mark in action,photo:Pata Honda media

TWN: You've had a lot of rivals in the battle for the title, who was harder to beat?
Michael Van Der Mark:  The strongest rival through the season was of course Jules Cluzel, but when everything was working fine for him the toughest guy to beat was Kenan Sofuoglu.

TWN: Have you got racing mentor, person who you listen to?
Michael Van Der Mark:   I don't have one particular racing mentor but from the beginning of my career my father has been my guide. He is not with me at every race but when he is there and he has some advice about where I can improve, I listen to him.

TWN: This season changed your life? If yes in which way?
Michael Van Der Mark:   From the start of this season my life already changed because this year my only focus was on training, keeping fit and racing. Last year I had to work between races so it was difficult to focus so much, but for the first time this season I have been a professional racer.

TWN: Have you already set goals for next season?
Michael Van Der Mark:   I can't really set goals right now because everything will be new again. The main thing is to learn from every session and every race and to keep improving at every round.

TWN: Honda bikes fully suits your racing style? What do you like about this bikes?
Michael Van Der Mark:   The best thing about Honda's CBR machines is that they are so easy to handle and this is what we racers need.


Pata Honda team at Parc Ferme, photo: Pata Honda Media
TWN: Why you decided to stay with Pata Honda?
Michael Van Der Mark:  Of course I decided to stay with the Pata Honda team because we have a really good relationship. I have learned so much with the team in the last two years and they made me a really good offer for the next two seasons in World Superbike.

TWN: Who would you like to see as your teammate next season?
Michael Van Der Mark:   I don't really mind about who my team-mate will be next season but, of course, because it will be my rookie World Superbike year, it would be best to have a team-mate with a lot of experience.

TWN: You always wanted to be a racer or you ever thought of different profession?
Michael Van Der Mark:  Since I started racing at the age of 12, I have wanted to be a professional racer, which is what I am now!


Van Der Mark on Suzuka8H podium,photo: speedweek.com
TWN: You've had a brilliant win at Suzuka 8H, what did you think about this year?s race?
Michael Van Der Mark:  This year's race and another win was really incredible. Last year I was injured during the race so it was difficult for me, but this year, during my stints, I was the fastest rider on track. I was also really consistent, which is very important in endurance racing.

TWN: Why you choose endurance, instead of road racing for example?
Michael Van Der Mark:   The Suzuka 8 Hours race is very important for Honda, so when they ask you to do it you really can't say no! But it has always been my dream to do this race and this year we won it for the second time which is incredible.

Text: Maria Vershanskaya, Ann Belkina
Photo: Pata Honda Media, speedweek.com

Коментарі

Популярні публікації