Mike Di Meglio: "We feel that our bike have a very good progress..."


Frenchmens - not the most well-represented nation in the world racing championship, but this year situation will be different, one of them will be riding in MotoGP. Mike Di Meglio - 2008 125cc world champion,  current  rider of Avintia Blusens Team  and just a very nice guy.
We talked with him just before Qatar GP Round, where the Frenchman had his debut in the premier class.

TWN:  What was the hardest in moving to MotoGP?
M.Di Meglio: To adapt my riding style , because GP bikes are a lot more powerful  than Moto2.

TWN:  You never been in MotoGP before, what this move means for you?
M.Di Meglio: This year I have  a big opportunity, I'm working very hard to have  chance to stay for one more  year in MotoGP.

TWN: You’re now in “Open” class, who do you think would be your main rivals on track this season?
M.Di Meglio: We know that the Ducati and Yamaha are very strong at the moment, for the start of the year we'll focus on the production Honda's  and  we'll working very hard  to end year close of OPEN  Yamaha's.

TWN:  Do you set any goals for this year?
M.Di Meglio: It’s my first year in  MotoGP, so I would like to be close to my teammate for now.

TWN: How's it to be the only Frenchman in your class? You feel  pressure on you?
M.Di Meglio: No I didn’t feel any  pressure. I m working a lot and progress every time. 

TWN: Your move to  MotoGP changed your training program?
M.Di Meglio: Yes, last year I've had a big crash in Brno, I've stayed four month  at home. This winter I've worked with a professional sport center in my city. 
We've planned  to arrive for the first test in Sepang at the best condition we can. I'm feeling much better compare to  last season, we work on a lot of new things.

TWN: Everyone is talking of beginning of new era with Marc Marquez switch to MotoGP, what you think about it?
M.Di Meglio: I think he  is a very  talented  rider,  and have a lot good people near him.When he was younger  he was on very good structure that helped him to progress in the good way.


Mike with Avintia Blusens Team

TWN: First time you’ve tried Avintia bike was in Brno, after that Valencia tests, and now tests this year. During this time the bike has changed a lot?
M.Di Meglio: Yes, already when I test the bike in Brno, they changed a lot  in the bike that I ride in Valencia! The team made a very good job!
Now the test we made this year is a completely new chassis.
We  feel that our bike have a very good progress, we need to  keep calm and progress every time, like we're doing now. 
Mike on Valencia tests

TWN: Your racing technique suits this bike or you spent some time adapting to this bike?
M.Di Meglio: Yes, I had to adapt  my riding style in MotoGP, and I'm trying to give  all my feedbacks  to our mechanics.
I'm a very sensible rider  and for the moment Hector and I  asking the same  from the bike.

TWN: You were in many different teams, is it hard for you to switch teams, or you always get on well with new teams?
M.Di Meglio: Yes, it was hard in Moto2 to change team  every year, because this class is really tough.We are  always trying  to improve for nothing, and change team every year require  adaptation from me, and   team to understand what I want.
But of course all of this gives me a lot experience, I know that  I need  to ride fast, but every bike is different, you need to understand how to work with it to  be  fast!
Di Meglio as Mapfre Aspar Team rider in Moto2 class
TWN: I know you were with bikes from very early age. You always wanted to  be professional racer?
M.Di Meglio: I started when I was three, I was making motocross until I was eleven.
One day I told my father that I want go racing,  all was going well and in four year I was in 125cc.

TWN: Remembering your champion's title in 2008, which is the main "ingredient" of the title?
M.Di Meglio: There's a  lot things in  being  world champion!First is  a combination of a good team and a good rider, after, you need to have some luck.
You need to accept that sometime you can loose a little but for be much better after.

TWN: In 2008 you won on your home track, what it means, winning on home ground?
M.Di Meglio: It means  for me that I know how use the pressure..
Because with all the stress what it had, I did my best. 


Mike as 2008 125cc World Champion
TWN: Your racing number has any history behind it?
M.Di Meglio: Before  MotoGP  I've raced  scooter and my number was 36, I did the opposite  because "36" was already taken by Mika Kallio.

TWN: Your life changed in any way after your tittle in 2008? 
M.Di Meglio: Yes of course, people look on me different, but I've tried to stay the same person  that like the simple things in life. 

TWN:  Your favorite racer to ride alongside? Past or present.
M.Di Meglio: When I was younger my 3 favorite riders  was Rossi, Biaggi and Capirossi, I think if we mix that three riders, that could be  best of the world!

Mike as 2008 125cc World Champion
TWN: What is your favorite occupation outside the race track?What you do to relax? 
M.Di Meglio: I like to relax at home and prepare as  best as I can to the next race.


TWN: Do you like backstage side of the raicing -  interviews, photoshoots and fans?
M.Di Meglio: A lot of things was hard for me when I entered in World Championship, because I was very shy.Now it’s very easy is a complicity with all of this.

TWN: Are you superstitious? Do you have any special rituals before the race?
M.Di Meglio: I'm not superstitious at all. 

TWN: You're always on the road, it's hard to stay in touch with family and friends? Do you miss your family when you travelling?
M.Di Meglio: It's now 12th year of my racing career, sure it's not easy to stay in touch with my friends, but in winter I always have time to see my friends. My girlfriend understands my work. 
It's the same, if people accept who you are it's much more easy.

photos: belongs to their owners

Коментарі

Популярні публікації